Explore how investment companies work, and start to discover which one might be the right investment for you
Understand the language of investment companies see our glossary.
Investment companies are a way to make a single investment that gives you a share in a much larger portfolio. A type of collective investment, they let you spread your risk and access investment opportunities you wouldn't find on your own.
This guide is designed for investors without much experience, or people who haven't considered investment companies as an option yet.
Already know the basics? Find and compare investment companies
What are investment companies?
- Investment companies – the basics of how they work
- Split capital investment companies – companies that offer more than one type of share
- Venture Capital Trusts (VCTs) – investing in risky new businesses with potential for growth
Types of investment
- Ways to invest – directly or using wrapper schemes? Regularly or all at once?
- Wrapper schemes – what they are and why to use them
- Preparing to invest – steps to take before you begin
- Common mistakes – know what not to do
- Choosing a company – what to ask yourself when you make your choice
Getting the advice you need
- Getting financial advice – use an expert to find an investment that suits your needs.